Family 5in5 Challenge
Saturday 19th June 2021
Our Family 5in5 Fell walking challenge is for kids, teenagers, grandparents, everybody! Sponsored by George Fisher, Quality outdoor clothing and equipment stockists, based in Keswick.
- The Family 5in5 Challenge will be held on Saturday 20th June 2020 along side our Annual 10in10.
- Ages: 8 years to 88 years
- £30 per person entry fee (£20 for children – under 16)
- Fundraising target per family – £200.00
- Distance: 12.9 kilometres / 8 miles
Over the years, we have listened to people saying they’d like a new challenge which the whole family can take on and we think we’ve found the perfect route! Over the years, living with MS, we have learnt the importance of perservance and resilience as a family. This challenge will certainly help develop these skills for all members of the family.
The Family 5in5 starts and finishes at the Swinside Inn, near Keswick. The route is approx. eight miles long and takes in five peaks – Causey Pike (637m), Scar Crags (672m), Outerside (568m), Stile End (447m) and Barrow (455m). It is an achievable challenge for an active family. However, please do not underestimate the terrain and nature of this route and the potential for changeable weather. We do not expect children to complete the Challenge in 5 hours. We want it to be an enjoyable experience for all involved. If you decide to bring your well behaved dog, again, please bear in mind the terrain of Causey Pike and be considerate of other walkers. Dogs should be kept on a lead at the Swinside Inn and on the fells. There will be lots of sheep!
As a family, we know that getting children out on the fells and keeping them going can be a challenge, so we’re providing cake on every peak as well as a feed station en route.
Afer registering in the morning at the Swinside Inn, you will be given your number, route details and a waterproof map. There will be friendly marshals on every peak, sweet treats along the way and hidden treasures!
Keswick outdoor retailer George Fisher, is supporting our event by providing medals for everyone who completes the challenge.
The adults need to be comfortable in a mountainous environment, be able to use a map and compass and ideally have fell-walking experience. The adults in each group have to take sole responsibility for the health and safety of their group.
We recommend a maximum of 3 children (under 18) per adult and will require parental consent for each child taking part under the age of 18. When you sign in on the day, we will have a (kids) ages box, and a will ask for a signature confirming parental consent for any member of your group/family under the age of 18. We can not take any responsibility for the welfare of dogs.
Please look at this page for essential kit, preparation and logistics for the day.
Please look at this page for the Booking Terms.
You can download the GPX of the route here. It’s best to right click and save to download it. If you are having issues trying to download the GPX file, try using this instead – it’s a zipped up version of the file.
We want you and your family to get the most out of the Family 5in5, so please read the following information as it will help in preparation, and explains a little more about the event what you will need to do on the day.
All challenges are open to anyone over the age of 16. (Please note that 16 year olds must be accompanied by an adult).
Your entry fee is a booking and administration charge.
- 10in10 £38 - includes a Berghaus Performance 10in10 t-shirt.
- 5in5 £38 - includes a Berghaus Performance 10in10 t-shirt. It is really important that you let us know what size t-shirt you want. Ladies - size 10, 12, 14, 16, 18. Men - size small, medium or large, XL, XXL
- Everyday 10in10 - £25 - includes a 10in10 Buff
- No Cure Always Hope Ultra Run - £30 - includes a 10in10 Buff
All registration fees, from 10in10, 5in5 and our other related events, are committed to our administration and organisation costs. All funds raised by participants are passed directly to the MS Society and other partner charities, that we may choose to work with. For more information or fundraising tips, please contact Yvonne Booth.
Please check out our FAQ section to help you along your way :)
Try and get out on a few mountainous walks with the family a few times before the event. You will amazed how kids will enjoy themselves in the hills, and how far they can actually walk! However, the fells can be a dangerous environment, and small issues can become an emergency if not dealt with in the correct way. The weather can play its part in this too - it can turn for the worse in a very short space of time so it is essential that everyone is prepared for all weathers and that everyone stays safe and well!
Although the 5 peaks on the route will be marshalled, the appointed Team Leader in your group is responsible for the whole groups navigation and welfare. It is therefore essential that the Team Leader is competent in a mountainous environment, can use a map and compass (to both navigate along a set route and plan and follow an escape route in case of an emergency) and ideally has first aid experience. There are many good refresher courses for mountain navigation and first aid; please get in touch if you need further guidance on this.
Start and Finish is from the Swinside Inn, near Portinscale, Keswick.
Registration will open from 8.30am - 9.30am This will take place at the Swinside Inn.
At registration, each participant in your team will be signed into the event, and you will be given a map, a Route Guide and a number.
Once registered you and your family team may start the challenge!
Refreshments - There will be a food station offering snacks/refreshments available along the way.
Each Team Leader must check that their team is present and correct at the start and let us know of any changes from when you first booked online. They need to vouch that all participants in their team has a complete and thorough Kit List (see above). All team members must START TOGETHER and STAY TOGETHER!
At registration each member of your group will sign into to the event. At registration, we will provide each entrant with a number which must be visible for the marshals to see. It is imperative that you check in with every marshal on every peak that is marshalled! (You must give them your number only). Marshalled peaks are indicated on the Route Guide on the reserve of the map. If you do not do this you will be assumed to be missing and we will start looking for you!!! Each marshal is then responsible for letting base know that you have passed through their checkpoint.
PLEASE NOTE: If any one of your participants need to leave the event early once you have started, your whole group will need to leave together; STAY TOGETHER! It is helpful if you inform a marshal, however, if you cannot do this you MUST still return to the Swinside Inn to sign you out of the event.
YOU MUST SIGN EVERY PARTICIPANT IN YOUR GROUP OUT OF THE EVENT WHEN YOU HAVE FINISHED. Please see a 5in5 marshal at the Swinside Inn or sooner if you leave the event early!
ICE (In Case of Emergency) You will need to leave us an emergency name and number, and indicate any medical conditions. You will not be able to enter the event without providing us with this information. We are sure we won't need to use this number but we must be prepared for all eventualities!
We are restricting each 'family' or group to a maximum of 10 individuals.
We recommend children should be no younger than 8 years old due to the walking terrain, the distance and changeable weather conditions.
By accepting the following terms, I agree:
- to accept the terms for my own entry
- to accept the terms on behalf of all other participants in my team
- that I am participating in this challenge, and will be the 'team leader'
- to provided a copy of these terms to all adult participants of my team
- that if, for any reason, I cannot take part in the challenge, another adult needs to accept the role as 'team leader', and abide by these terms.
- Each participant must be physically fit enough to undertake the challenge.
- Participants should be aged 8 years old or over.
- Each participant under the age of 18 years old has parental consent to take part in this challenge.
- Each team must have an experienced 'team leader' who is over the age of 18 years old, who is comfortable in a mountainous environment, be able to use a map and compass and ideally have fell-walking experience.
- We recommend a maximum of 3 children (under 18 years old) per adult.
- The adults in each group have to take sole responsibility for the health and safety of their group.
- Each participant must not take part if you have any physical illness which might result in you, or others, being put in danger. If in any doubt, consult your GP/doctor.
- All teams must follow instructions from the event organisers/marshals and follow the designated route except where doing so may result in danger.
- Instructions and procedures will be given for handling emergencies and to those teams who wish to retire before the finish. These procedures must be followed.
- Please be considerate of other participants and members of the public not taking part in the challenge and follow the country code.
- Each participant must have the appropriate clothing and equipment for a challenge of this nature. The Essential Equipment and Kit List is listed above.
- The organisers have the authority to alter factors such as route/venue/start time, before the start or during the challenge, if it is felt necessary to do so on the grounds of safety or other unforeseen circumstance. You will be notified of any changes if this is the case.
Each participant must pay a £10.00 non-refundable booking fee, + the one-off ‘per group’ fee of £20. These fees will only be refunded if your application is not accepted.
You are responsible for collecting all sponsorship monies and passing them on to the event organisers promptly.
Each adult (over the age of 18 years old) will be required to sign-in on the day of the challenge, agreeing to the terms. These will be available to view on the day of the challenge.